Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Power of Purple

Hello friends of Squirrel Town.

I was looking at the calendar for notable days and saw that tomorrow is an absolutely lovely one :-)

May 16th is "Wear Purple For Peace Day". Anyone who knows this purple squirrel knows I couldn't agree more!





Purple brings up the most lovely feelings for me.... passion, love, serenity, happiness. Do you know, most people wear dark drab colors to funerals. If I really love the person, I wear purple! That shows how much I care :-)

In honor of the coming Purple holiday, I wanted to reprint the lovely poem "When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple". I celebrate the wonderful notions in this poem and agree wholeheartedly - why wait until you're older to do the things you want to do and to act with love and passion and abandon?

In giving my heart to God and trying to live a life I feel is pleasing to Him, I'm trying to "Live Purple" NOW!



WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE



With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.


And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves


And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.


I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired


And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells


And run my stick along the public railings


And make up for the sobriety of my youth.


I shall go out in my slippers in the rain


And pick the flowers in other people's gardens


And learn to spit






You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat


And eat three pounds of sausages at a go


Or only bread and pickle for a week


And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes






But now we must have clothes that keep us dry


And pay our rent and not swear in the street


And set a good example for the children.


We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.






But maybe I ought to practice a little now?


So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised


When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.






Taken from the book


When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

No comments:

Post a Comment